Clinical Research Council for paediatric and adolescent oncology
By bringing together existing paediatric oncology clinical trial groups and national paediatric haemato-oncology societies, the SIOPE Clinical Research Council for paediatric and adolescent oncology (SIOPE CRC) represents the paediatric oncology clinical research community across Europe.
Established to facilitate good research practice exchange amongst international co-operative groups, this executive decision-making body expresses the unified voice by dealing with common burning issues in the field and by representing the point of view of National Paediatric Haemato-Oncology Societies (NaPHOS) and European Clinical Trial Groups (ECTGs) at the highest European political level.
Formerly known as “ECRC”, the SIOPE CRC was originally founded in 2011 within the ENCCA project with the aim to establish a ‘European Virtual Institute’ for clinical and translational research in childhood and adolescent cancers.
The 2015 composition of the SIOPE CRC
As announced during the SIOPE CRC Meeting during the ENCCA General Assembly (19th December 2015, Brussels, Belgium), our community decided to renew the structure of the SIOPE Clinical Research Council. Therefore, a Call for Membership Application was officially launched, asking representatives of each group/society to apply for the membership of the new SIOPE CRC. This renewed Council is now composed of representatives of the NaPHOS and ECTGs in Europe (1 representative per group/society), appointed by the Chairs and leaders of each group/society. The CRC membership process was finalised and the renewed Council today is composed of 49 prominent representatives of the paediatric haematology-oncology field in Europe.
SIOPE CRC Main Representatives
It was also decided that there won’t be one Chair of the Council but there should be two “Main Representatives” (co-Chairs) per each of the two categories represented in the Council, namely NaPHOS and ECTGs (the formerly nominated “ECRC Steering Committee”, which was created in January 2013 has been discontinued as an outcome of the decisions taken on this occasion).
- SIOPE launched a call for nomination for the two co-leading “Main Representatives” amongst the new SIOPE CRC Membership. This call resulted in the successful nomination of seven distinguished candidates from our community.
- The new Council then elected two “Main Representatives” who will be in charge of jointly coordinating and leading the activities of the renewed Council. They would also become members of the SIOPE Board.
CRC “Main Representatives” are:
- Carmelo Rizzari (Italy) for the role of Main Representative of ECTGs
- Tomasz Szczepanski (Poland) for the role of Main Representative of NaPHOS
CRC “Main Representatives-elects”, who will take this role as of 1 January 2022 are:
- Cormac Owens (Ireland) for the role of Main Representative of ECTGs
- Uta Dirksen (Germany) for the role of Main Representative of NaPHOS
Upcoming CRC Meeting:
- 14 October 2021
Past CRC Meetings:
- 2 July 2021, Virtual Meeting
- 29 April 2021, Virtual Meeting
- 23 September 2020, Virtual Meeting
- 25 October 2019, Lyon, France
- 23 May 2019, Prague, Czech Republic (within the SIOP Europe Annual Meeting)
- 26 September 2018, Brussels, Belgium (within ERN PaedCan General Assembly)
- 1 February 2018, Brussels, Belgium (within ERN PaedCan General Assembly)
- 29 June 2017, Brussels, Belgium (followed by SIOPE GA 2017)
- 26 January 2017, Amsterdam, the Netherlands (on the occasion of the European Cancer Congress)
- 1 July 2016, Brussels, Belgium – Kick Off Meeting
- 19 December 2015, Brussels, Belgium (on the occasion of the final ENCCA General Assembly)
For further information on this Council, please contact the SIOP Europe office (email@example.com).