8-12 July 2024, Vienna, Austria
Discover the world of paediatric oncology through the esteemed SIOP Europe Summer School!
Designed exclusively for European medical students, this immersive programme offers an unrivaled opportunity to delve into the complexities of paediatric cancer.
Under the guidance of experts in the field, the SIOP Europe Summer School will equip students with a comprehensive understanding of paediatric oncology, ranging from diagnostic procedures to therapeutic interventions. Students will gain invaluable insights through lectures, interactive workshops and case discussions.
But the SIOP Europe Summer School is more than just an educational event - it is a platform for connection, collaboration, and the cultivation of a collective vision. By uniting young talents across borders and cultures, this Summer School will foster lifelong partnerships and inspire groundbreaking future initiatives.
Immerse yourself in a collaborative learning environment, fostering connections with peers from diverse backgrounds. Engage in stimulating lectures and dynamic discussions that explore cutting-edge topics of paediatric oncology. Enhance critical thinking abilities and develop a compassionate approach to caring for young patients with cancer and their families.
Download the Preliminary Programme here.
Download the Flyer to Share With Your Contacts here.
Who should attend?
- Medical students at Universities / Medical Schools from across Europe who are in education and training for medicine (preferably have already been taught in paediatrics and adolescent medicine) and who have a particular interest in paediatric oncology.
What makes this course unique?
- You will learn about clinical aspects of children, adolescents and young adults with cancer and their specific challenges, starting from diagnosis and epidemiology, through multimodal treatment and prognosis as well as long-term follow-up care.
- You will discuss real-life cases, situations, and patient management and meet professionals specialized in paediatric and adolescent cancer including experts, but also the junior faculty in the field.
- Upon completion of the Course, you will receive a certificate of attendance and CME credits.
Course Steering Committee
- Andishe Attarbaschi – Course Chair, SIOP Europe Board Member and Chair SIOP Europe Education Committee, St. Anna Children's Hospital, Vienna Austria
- Jelena Lazic – Course Co-Chair, University Children's Hospital - Belgrade, Serbia
- Burak Caliskan (AT), Laura Ditzer (AT), Anna Fuereder (AT), Daniel Mayr (AT), Fiona Poyer (AT), Hannah von Mersi (AT).
Online Application Procedure
- Applications to participate in the Course must be submitted electronically via the application form
- Applicants must meet the minimum selection criteria outlined below
Minimum Selection Criteria
· Be fluent in written and spoken English
· Be a medical student at a university or school in Europe, with a minimum of 2-3 years schooling
· Be dedicated to paediatric oncology
· Be creative/out of the box thinking/talented
The application form provided must be used and includes the following sections. You can preview the application form here:
· Personal details and contact information
· 1 letter of recommendation (recommended but not mandatory)
· Motivation letter
Every applicant must upload or e-mail a poster (PDF, PNG or JPG) to complete the application. Your task is to create a poster on future innovations in whichever discipline of medicine. Imagine yourself in a future position at your institution or hospital. You received tremendous funding for an innovative project in your institution, thus you must present this project in a poster. You have the freedom of choice and creativity: for example, you could focus on implementing artificial intelligence in clinical reasoning, health inequalities, scientific breakthroughs or innovative new architecture/infrastructure at your hospital, etc. Bear in mind that sometimes very simple projects might also be worthwhile to envision and pursue. All posters will be presented during a poster session at the Summer School, and the best poster will be awarded!
Course application submission opents: 15 September 2023
Application Submission closes: 15 December 2023
In order to attend the SIOP Europe Student Summer School for Paediatric Oncology, all selected participants will be required to pay the Participation Fee.
The Participation Fee is 425 EUR plus VAT. It includes:
- Access to all Course sessions and Course material;
- Access to and mentoring by highly experienced experts in oncology;
- Shared accommodation at the Course venue;
- Food and beverages throughout the duration of the Course;
- Social activities organised as part of the Course.
Please note: Travel expenses are NOT covered by the registration fee. A reduced fee may be granted on a case by case basis. If you wish to apply for a reduced participation fee, please write a short statement explaining the fee reduction request in the application form.
SIOP Europe Student Summer School for Paediatric Oncology (8-12 July 2024)
- 24 March 2024 - fee payment deadline.
- If you cancel your participation before 24 April 2024, you will receive a 50% refund.
- Cancellations received after 24 April 2024 are not eligible for refund.
If you have queries or require further information, or wish to be added to the mailing list, please send an email to: email@example.com.